August 3rd, 2009 @ 01:11:17 | 4 Comments
First Sand Beach doesn’t require deserve much introduction… Its like a rotten apple peach I once ate. I knew the peach was bad – the horrible taste gave it away. But I ate it anyway, in voiced disgust. If I hadn’t eaten all (or most) of it, I wouldn’t have been able to explain just how bad it was. And so it goes with this beach.
I don’t want to bad-mouth the beach too much, so I’ll just state the facts.
- This beach is the South edge of a swamp
- The sand (in & out of water) reflects the above statement
- There is one tree in sight… maybe two. They aren’t good ones (I’m an expert at this… logger’s son)
- The water is dirty… because of my first point
- The water is shallow
- The beach is 1/2 mile long, and 3 or 4 reluctant strides from highway to water’s edge
- It smells
- The experience is not unlike that of eating a rotten peach… You might eat it, but you’ll surely tell people how bad it is.
Now for something good: The drive along Bay Shore / Pequaming Road heading North out of L’Anse is special. Its only a 10 to 15 minute drive out of L’Anse.
Just up the road from First Sand Beach is Pequaming. Also Second Sand Beach, which I will write about next. Either one of these destinations is a much better choice than FSB. Pequaming is a really pretty area and has an old lighthouse worth checking out. Please take my advice and visit Pequaming… pass up First Sand.